Monday 23 February 2015

Food, glorious food

One of the things I love about being a writer is being able to live vicariously through my characters. Being a bit of a 'foodie' myself I love being able to write scenes where my characters go out for meal or stay in and cook because it means I can pick whatever I fancy off the menu without any consequences, especially when it comes to the dessert! 

Sometimes I write about places I have actually been, like Clancy's, am amazing fish restaurant in Western Australia which I featured in my latest novel, Tied to You. Everything that I mentioned were my own favourite dishes and just by writing about it I could imagine that I was there with Liv and Alex on City Beach.

Other times I will have to search via the fabulous Google for a venue that fits the setting in my book so when Liv and Alex head out for brunch it is to the very real Bluebird on the Kings Road in Chelsea. Liv's breakfast of eggs royale was very much what I was craving the day I wrote that particular scene so that's what I chose.

But sometimes I have to fib a little...My Thirty Days series features Abby, baker-extraordinaire. While I love to cook myself, I am useless at baking and instead that feat falls to my amazing husband who has the ultimate patience when it comes to weighing and measuring. All those amazing confections that Abby produces are actually goodies that he has produced himself and I do actually get to enjoy. So by talking about it in my books I actually get to savour their deliciousness twice. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. I'm a foodie too and I know exactly where you are coming from :) I love doing food play or restaurant scenes :) Writing is too much fun!

    ReplyDelete