Wednesday 26 November 2014

Making your mother blush: Writing erotic romances

I never set out for my first book, Thirty Days Have September, to be an erotic romance. I read plenty of novels in that genre but I also love thrillers, supernatural, a good murder mystery and sappy love stories. But as I got to the point that I needed to write the first sex scene I got a little bit nervous. Of course there are so many ways of writing a sex scene from the completely discrete to no-holds-barred graphic descriptions and I just wasn’t sure where I sat on the spectrum. So one day I just sat down and wrote the kind of description that I would have enjoyed reading myself and, low and behold, I discovered I had a bit of a kinky side.

This has continued and been stretched even further with my latest novel, Tied to You, where I explore a BDSM relationship. Whilst not actively in the scene myself, I have a couple of friends who are and were happy to answer any questions I had. It took a long time to get the scenes and the relationship dynamics right but in the end when my harshest critic, my mother, praised them and told me she enjoyed them I realised that I had found my groove. And who knew my mum had a kinky side as well?

This post was originally published on http://inthepagesofagoodbook.com on 10 November 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment