Wednesday 26 November 2014

Smut & the playground: owning up to who you are

My daughter recently started reception at a new school which has not only meant that is she making new friends, but so am I. So you can imagine my nervousness after the first few mornings when I finally got asked the question ‘So what do you do?’. Now don’t get me wrong, I am proud of my writing and my mum beta reads everything so it’s not like I am in the closet or anything. But these are the mums that I am going to see pretty much every morning for the next seven years and I don’t know anything about them. And I already know that I am probably seen as the crazy mum with the bright pink hair.

I briefly considered telling them I am in marketing, which is what my background is in, or that I am a stay-at-home mum, but then I thought, sod-it, if they can’t handle the truth then I guess they will just have to suck it up. So cautiously I told them I am a writer which immediately got them intrigued. ‘What do you write?’ was immediately the next question. When I told them I wrote saucy novels, thinking that is probably PC enough for them, I definitely got a few raised eyebrows. But even more so a few of those secret smiles from people who know exactly what you mean. A couple even went so far as to ask for my pseudonym and title of my new book, Tied to You.

A few weeks later I know a couple have definitely read a couple of my books; nothing has been said explicitly but I have had a couple of smiles and comments here and there so I am guessing  underneath the Joules jackets there are definitely a few kinky chicks out there.

This post was originally published on http://adrianakraft.com/blog on 14 November 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment